CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Silkies Live On



I've been thinking a lot about my mom lately. She passed away 2 years ago in April, and I realize more and more what an amazing woman she was. Recently, my sister, Ginny decided that she wasn't going to paint with mom's old paints, so she gave them to Wendy. I hope that Wendy is able to put them to good use. Just after mom died, Wendy decided to paint a picture, and it turned out amazing. She said that she felt grandma there while she was painting. I hope that using her paints will help her to again feel grandma, and her love of many things.

Mom started making silky quilts for her grandkids long ago, and they always became the favorite blankie. The tradition carried on for the great-grandkids. She had made a couple for future great-grandkids, and my nephew, Danny got the last one for his baby. Now Wendy is having a baby. I couldn't bear for her not to have a silky, so I have taken a shot at carrying on the tradition. It is not made that well, and isn't that great to look at, but I hope it will be carried around and loved the same way that all the others have. I'm thankful to have had a mom that loved her kids, grandkids, and great grandkids, and was able to show it in so many ways.

3 comments:

Emily N said...

It looks great! Little girl Lewis will ove it and carry it around for years to come. grandma was an amazing woman and I'm glad you're carrying on this tradition. I'd hate for any future siblings of Sally and Alice not to have one. just a minuter ago, Sally was playing with hers. Covering blocks with it and jumping off them. They all love those blankies so much!!

Carol said...

I admire you for carrying on your mother's tradition, Becky. I guess making chocolates counts for me carrying on my mother's traditions. Can't believe it has already been almost 2 years since your mother passed away. Where does the time go? Sure seems to speed up the older we get, doesn't it?

Ashly said...

Good for you! I think it's a great thing to carry on.