CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Life is Tough

Wow, it's been a rough week. We found out last week that my sister, Ginny, has liver cancer. She was told that there is too much to be cut out, and that chemo isn't much of an option. They are giving her the option to try something new, called TheraSphere treatment
where millions of tiny, radioactive beads are implanted into the cancer through blood vessels. It could slow or stop the blood flow to the cancer. It is very new, and is only used when there is no other viable options.

What I'm amazed at, is how Ginny is taking all of this news. At first she thought that she would only have a very short time to live, maybe as short as 6 weeks. Now, she has been told that she has 1-3 years, and the TheraSphere could extend that, but they really don't know by how much. She does know that there is not a cure. She is very upbeat about it. She feels great that she has a lot more than 6 weeks, and is going to make the best of it. She's not afraid to die, but she's glad that it's not quite yet.

Wow, what an attitude! I'm thankful to have a sister that can show me how to be positive, even during the hardest trials. I can see that with the knowledge of the gospel, all things can be dealt with. Thank you, Ginny, for being a person I can look up to!

5 comments:

Emily N said...

Reading this got me all teary in a sad, and inspiriational way. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Wow! How scary would that be? I am always amazed at the strength and courage some people have in tough situations like that. She is lucky to have a loving and caring sister!

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing her story. I hope I can be like that when faced with life's challenges.

Amy said...

I've always admired Ginny. She's such a positive person. We'll pray for the best!

Carol said...

Times like this are what bring out a person's true character. Ginny is an inspiration to all of us. Thank you for sharing and allowing us to be a part of this curve ball life is throwing all of you. It is a wakeup call for each of us--what would I do if I knew I only had 6 weeks, or 1-3 years left? What changes would I make? How would I show my family how much I love them? Keep us posted. You're in our prayers.