CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

I'm Taking Over Marilyn's Ranting...

I have 2 things to rant about, and then I'll go back to cute pictures of grandkids...

1. I despise politics! Everyone thinks they are right! As I look through the years that I've been around, I can see that people are unhappy no matter what. First they aren't happy with democrats, so they go republican...then they are unhappy with the Republicans, so they go democrat. David loves the whole arguing, debating stuff. It just makes me feel nauseous. I've already voted, and I feel pretty strongly about some parts of politics, but can't we all just get along?

2. I am frustrated with the idea that "vaccinations are a cause of autism." There was a segment on the Today Show today. There have been 16 different studies that have tried to link autism to vaccines, and the link is not there. Here is a quote from Dr. Paul Offit:

"But the reason I say vaccines don’t cause autism is that they don’t. I say this because the false alarm about vaccines and autism continues to harm a lot of children — harm from not getting needed vaccines, harm from potentially dangerous treatments to eliminate mercury, and harm from therapies as absurd as testosterone ablation and electric shock. I say this because the feared vaccine–autism link, which has now been disproved, diverts research dollars from more promising leads. I say this because I care about children with autism."

This doctor has seen outbreaks from people that will not vaccinate their children. Do we really want to go back to the days of deadly diseases that can and should have been obliterated?

Dr. Offit has had tons of hate mail, and even a death threat. To read more about this, go to: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/27440647/.

Autism is a terrible thing, but it's not caused by vaccines. Get your kids vaccinated!

5 comments:

Mrs. Grigg said...

I'm glad you ranted, sometimes you just need to do it to feel better. I also hate politics, I hate the money that is wasted on campaigning...do something better with that money.
I also hate the hysteria that was caused by claiming vaccinations were the cause of autism. People need to stop freaking out.

Emily N said...

Sally got shots this week- I suppose I'm all for vaccines. it is SO sad that there have been outbreaks due to people not getting them. Something that could have been prevented.
I have a love hate relationship with politics. I guess I'm a product of both you and dad. I do wish everybody could get along- and I hate the pettiness and superiority everybody seems to have. At the same time, I find it all very exciting. I just wish there was a candidate that I LOVED. Perhaps someday.
Oh, to answer the questions on my blog, Sally's wearing jammies under the tutu- they even have ballet slippers on them- she got them in PCB- you were there I think. And she just said tiny dancer. I don't know where she got it from- but I love it.

Cicely said...

Miles got his shots yesterday. I think Seth Meyers said it best on SNL when he said this (I'm paraphrasing):

"There has been a recent trend of parents not vaccinating their kids due to the links they may have with Autism. This just in: Polio."

Kat said...

I hate that everybody thinks they are right about politics too. It is so important to know what is going on in politics but I can't stand hearing about it. Lily is all up to date on her shots but just because of all the fuss about it I find myself getting freaked out and I hate it.

Amy said...

I feel the same - I don't get politics. I know someone has to do the job, but I just don't get into it.
And on the vaccines - when I worked in the hospital I worked with so many pertussis patients. They would literally turn blue every time they'd start coughing, which was often. I'm so glad that modern technology has rid us of so many of these diseases!